It is that easy to bake 1 kg dutch oven bread:
- The the bag with the rub and put it into a small bowl. Add 3 tbsp of apple juice, beer or water, mix it and put it aside.
- Put the remaining baking mixture in a bowl, add 380 ml lukewarm water (see waterline in can) and knead the dough with your hand, with a food processor or with the Thermomix.
- Let the dough rest in a bowl and covered at room temperature (ca.24°C) for 20-30 minutes.
- Knead the dough briefly and shape it into a loaf of bread. Tip: some flour helps with the shaping.
- Let the dough rest for another 20 minutes at room temperature. Meanwhile, preheat the Dutch Oven on the grill or in the oven to 230°C.
- Mix the rub until it reaches a creamy (spreadable) consistency. Tip: small pieces can be contained!
- Spread the rub on the bread loaf.
- Put the dough in the preheated Dutch Oven and close the lid.
- Dutch Oven in the grill: Put the Dutch Oven with a closed lid on the grill, indirect heat, then close the lid and the ventilation slide. Bake it at 230°C for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 180°C and bake for another 15 minutes without the lid.
Dutch Oven in the oven: Bake the bread at 230°C top-bottom heat for 20 minutes, then decrease the temperature to 180°C and bake for another 15 minutes without the lid.
- Tip: The Dutch Oven Bread is ready at a core temperature of 95°C!
- Tip: The bread can also be baked without the Dutch Oven! To do that, place the dough on a baking tray covered with baking paper (moisten the baking paper with water), spread the Rub on the dough and incise the surface with a sharp knife in diamond shape. Bake the dough in the oven at 230°C top and bottom heat for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 190°C and bake for another 15 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 min
Time in total: 1 h 45 min
spelt flour, wheat flour, rye flour, sunflower seeds, sesame, salt, dry baking yeast, BBQ sauce tomato-based with smoke flavor (water, tomato concentrate, sugar, vinegar, molasses, modified cornstarch, salt, natural smoke flavor, mustard flour, onions, seasonings, garlic), flour treatment agent: asorbic acid